Everyone buy auto insurance for their vehicles, to provide economic protection to the owner, from any kind of damage that may occur to the vehicles. But a car insurance policy has many features, which are provided to cover different types of damages that may happen due to any accident or other mishap. The customer needs to choose only those coverage options which are necessary for the financial safeguarding in meeting the repairing expenses of his car.
The aspects that should be checked carefully before opting for windshield insurance
Inclusion of comprehensive coverage in the policy:
- Among many useful features of a car insurance policy, windshield insurance is an essential coverage that normally comes under the category of ‘Comprehensive Coverage’ option. This comprehensive claim also includes the repair of all other glasses of the car, apart from the windshield, which may be damaged due to collision with any living creature or hard particle, while travelling on the roads.
- However, comprehensive coverage does not include damages caused due to road accidents, as it is listed under a separate coverage, called ‘Accidental Loss or Damage’. As per the insurance law, comprehensive claims cover only the damages caused due to fire, storms or other natural calamities, vandalism or collision with wild animals or birds.
- But the customers should check whether the option for repair or replacement of windshields is included in his comprehensive coverage, by reading the declaration page carefully or discussing with his car insurance agent. Sometimes, it is only written ‘auto glass repair’, but the customer needs to clarify whether windshield is also included in this term ‘auto glass’.
The careful selection of the deductible for comprehensive coverage:
- Usually the customer chooses a certain amount of the deductible on the comprehensive coverage of the car insurance policy, to decrease the total cost of his car insurance. But a deductible of higher amount often happens to be greater than the cost of any repair of the windshield or other auto glasses, which means the customer has got no means to claim that repairing cost from the insurance company.
- It is useless for the customer to claim the repairing costs of his damaged windshield or other auto glasses, if this cost is only meagerly higher than the deductible on his windshield insurance, as he will get almost no money in return, to compensate the money spent in repairing process. No customer will prefer to claim for negligible profit, as a higher number of claims in his auto record can result in a hike of his renewal insurance premium.
- But few car insurance companies offer the option of zero deductible, which enables the customer to repair his damaged windshield, without the necessity of paying the deductible. But mostly the cost of insurance policy tends to increase in case of zero deductibles.
- If the customer is unable to pay the deductible, he can either delay the repair of his windshield, which is liable to draw a fine from the police, if seen to be driving with a broken windshield; else he can ask his auto repair agency to waive off the deductible or at least a part of it, provided this repairing agency is large enough to bear this financial loss, in return of a steady customer.